SLEEPY HOLLOW, N.Y. -- Following a loss to Harrison High School in week three, Sleepy Hollow High School senior Steven Bencosme and his varsity football teammates knew that the doubters were out in full force.
“Every week people have been doubting us, so when we beat John Jay that made a statement that the loss to Harrison was a mistake,” Bencosme said.
Sleepy Hollow, now 3-1, ran up a season-high in points in a 43-36 win over John Jay-Cross River High School in week four. The Headless Horsemen are aiming for win number four when they host Hendrick Hudson High School in a Section 1 Class A football game at 3 p.m., Saturday.
A Sleepy Hollow win would enhance the team’s playoff chances with two regular-season games remaining.
Sleepy Hollow’s offense erupted with numerous big plays against John Jay, led by Dominic Onwe. The junior halfback had a 77-yard touchdown run and 35-yarder on a hook-and-lateral. Quarterback Devin Lopez threw touchdowns, including two to Dionel Infante.
“This is a huge game for us in that we have to play our best all four quarters and continue to prove people wrong,” Bencosme said.
Hen Hud also comes into the game with a 3-1 record. The Sailors have wins over Lakeland High School and Riverside (Yonkers) High School the last two weeks.
- 1 Irvington Declares State Of Emergency, Continuing Indefinitely
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Westchester, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Blizzard Warning Issued For Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington
- 4 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Dodge Worst Of Nor'ester
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow