SLEEPY HOLLOW, N.Y. — The Sleepy Hollow varsity football team understood the importance of Saturday’s game with Lakeland because a win would qualify the Headless Horsemen for the Section 1 Class A Football Championships.
Sleepy Hollow came out in the second half and had a 27-point offensive uprising in a 41-21 victory on Homecoming weekend. Dominic Onwe finished with four touchdowns, Edwin Jimenez had a touchdown reception and Bencosme returned an interception for a touchdown. It was Sleepy Hollow’s third interception return for a touchdown this season.
As a result of the win, Sleepy Hollow, now 5-1, earned a berth in the Section 1 Class A Football Championships after not qualifying in 2011. Sleepy Hollow, which has won three straight, will close out the regular season with arch-rival Ossining Friday.
“It was great,” said senior and captain Steven Bencosme of the win and playoff berth. “We felt we didn’t play well in the first half. In the second half, we had a whole new mindset.”
“We really stepped it up on defense in the second half,” Bencosem said. “We knew Lakeland had nothing to lose and we knew they were going to try and run it down our throat.
- 1 Silo Structures On Tappan Zee Bridge Collapse, Causing Spills
- 2 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 3 New York Archdiocese Likely To Merge More Parishes
- 4 Sleepy Hollow Mayor Tells Staff To Avoid Nonprofit, Report Says
- 5 Amber Alert Issued For 5-Year-Old Forcibly Taken By Two Men