SLEEPY HOLLOW, N.Y. — The Sleepy Hollow varsity football team understood the importance of Saturday’s game with Lakeland because a win would qualify the Headless Horsemen for the Section 1 Class A Football Championships.
Sleepy Hollow came out in the second half and had a 27-point offensive uprising in a 41-21 victory on Homecoming weekend. Dominic Onwe finished with four touchdowns, Edwin Jimenez had a touchdown reception and Bencosme returned an interception for a touchdown. It was Sleepy Hollow’s third interception return for a touchdown this season.
As a result of the win, Sleepy Hollow, now 5-1, earned a berth in the Section 1 Class A Football Championships after not qualifying in 2011. Sleepy Hollow, which has won three straight, will close out the regular season with arch-rival Ossining Friday.
“It was great,” said senior and captain Steven Bencosme of the win and playoff berth. “We felt we didn’t play well in the first half. In the second half, we had a whole new mindset.”
“We really stepped it up on defense in the second half,” Bencosem said. “We knew Lakeland had nothing to lose and we knew they were going to try and run it down our throat.
- 1 Tarrytown's Happy Rockefeller, Wife Of Late Nelson Rockefeller, Dies
- 2 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow Farmers Market Opens Saturday
- 3 Irvington, Tarrytown Rank Among Nation’s 100 Best Suburbs
- 4 Airbag Recall Is Largest Ever In Auto History
- 5 Astorino Asks Obama If He 'Wants To Say Hi' To Hillary Clinton During Visit