TARRYTOWN, N.Y. -- Sleepy Hollow High School in Tarrytown hosted the 2016 Sleepy Hollow Jazz Festival, the 13th year for the festival on Friday, March 4.
Sleepy Hollow partnered with the State University of New York at Purchase to create a larger celebration of jazz education in the region’s schools.
Throughout the day, the nine participating high school jazz bands performed for three guest artists in the Sleepy Hollow High School Auditorium.
Participating schools were Ardsley High School, Lakeland High School, Mahopac High School, Mamaroneck High School, Monroe-Woodbury High School, Valhalla High School, White Plains High School, Woodlands High School, and Sleepy Hollow High School.
The guest artists were Tim Albright, Todd Coolman and Gary Smulyan, all SUNY Purchase music faculty members. During the day, schools listened to others perform and participated in breakout sessions run by the Sleepy Hollow music staff.
The breakout sessions offered students from different schools a chance to interact and share their musical growth and development. All the jazz groups then traveled to SUNY Purchase, where the Jazz Department hosted a pizza party followed by a jam session with the Purchase Jazz Orchestra.
The day culminated with a concert in the PepsiCo Theater featuring four showcase bands from the day performing with the Purchase Jazz Orchestra. Awards were given out as follows:
- Showcase Bands: Sleepy Hollow, Ardsley, Mahopac, Mamaroneck
- Best Trombone Section: White Plains
- Best Trumpet Section: Monroe-Woodbury
- Best Sax Section: Mamaroneck
- Best Rhythm Section: Mahopac Best Ballad: Mamaroneck
- Best Swing Selection: Mamaroneck
- Best Latin Selection: Mahopac
- Best Contemporary Selection: Sleepy Hollow
- Best Soloist: David Snyder, Ardsley