This story was updated at 3:30 p.m. Friday.
TARRYTOWN, N.Y. – A 21-year-old Tarrytown woman was killed early Friday during an armed home invasion on Long Island.
Andrea Rebello, a Hofstra University junior majoring in public relations, was in her house with four people, including her twin sister, a block from campus in Uniondale, N.Y. A masked gunman forced his way inside at about 2 a.m. Friday. The gunman was later killed in an officer-involved shooting, Newsday reported.
Hofstra University President Stuart Rabinowitz acknowledged Rebello's death in a statement, calling it “a senseless act of violence.”
“Our hearts and minds and our thoughts and prayers are with her family, her friends, and her classmates,” he said.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Tarrytown Skies Sunday
- 2 Freeze Warning Is In Effect For Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington
- 3 Woman, 19, Hospitalized After Jump Onto Sprain Brook Parkway
- 4 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Will See Temperature Plunge On Sunday
- 5 Alert Issued For Missing Woman, 80, Who Could Be In Westchester