This story was updated at 3:30 p.m. Friday.
TARRYTOWN, N.Y. – A 21-year-old Tarrytown woman was killed early Friday during an armed home invasion on Long Island.
Andrea Rebello, a Hofstra University junior majoring in public relations, was in her house with four people, including her twin sister, a block from campus in Uniondale, N.Y. A masked gunman forced his way inside at about 2 a.m. Friday. The gunman was later killed in an officer-involved shooting, Newsday reported.
Hofstra University President Stuart Rabinowitz acknowledged Rebello's death in a statement, calling it “a senseless act of violence.”
“Our hearts and minds and our thoughts and prayers are with her family, her friends, and her classmates,” he said.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow
- 3 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow Police Officers Graduate From County Academy
- 4 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 5 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow Could See Light Snow Overnight Into Sunday