WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- A trip to the DMV may feel like torture, but residents in Westchester County and throughout New York "enjoy" a wait time close to the national average, according to a recent survey by DMV.com.
New York's average wait time at the Department of Motor Vehicles was 34.65 minutes, just longer than the national average of 34.2. The wait time ranked New York 21st out of 41 states included in the DMV.com survey.
New York DMV officials have made changes in an attempt to reduce wait times at their offices, including a notification system that alerts drivers 90 days before their license is set to expire and the option to self-certify their vision requirements online or by mail, DMV.com said.
The study also credited New York's myDMV website, which allows residents to change address, renew a license or obtain a driver abstract without waiting in line at a DMV location, the study said.
The efforts appear to have paid off: Neighboring states Connecitcut, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania had wait times of 54, 44 and 39 minutes, respectively, according to the study.
Residents who have to make a trip to the DMV should avoid going on Fridays near the end of the month. The DMV.com survey said wait times are longest between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- 1 Autopsy Released For Woman Found Naked In Neighbor's Yard In Yonkers
- 2 Tarrytown Residents Get To See Blue Moon Friday Night
- 3 Two Medical Marijuana Licenses Granted In Westchester
- 4 Former Dobbs Ferry Resident Mark Zuckerberg Says He's Going To Be A Dad
- 5 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington