WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- A trip to the DMV may feel like torture, but residents in Westchester County and throughout New York "enjoy" a wait time close to the national average, according to a recent survey by DMV.com.
New York's average wait time at the Department of Motor Vehicles was 34.65 minutes, just longer than the national average of 34.2. The wait time ranked New York 21st out of 41 states included in the DMV.com survey.
New York DMV officials have made changes in an attempt to reduce wait times at their offices, including a notification system that alerts drivers 90 days before their license is set to expire and the option to self-certify their vision requirements online or by mail, DMV.com said.
The study also credited New York's myDMV website, which allows residents to change address, renew a license or obtain a driver abstract without waiting in line at a DMV location, the study said.
The efforts appear to have paid off: Neighboring states Connecitcut, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania had wait times of 54, 44 and 39 minutes, respectively, according to the study.
Residents who have to make a trip to the DMV should avoid going on Fridays near the end of the month. The DMV.com survey said wait times are longest between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- 1 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 2 Police Warn Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Residents Of Phone Scam
- 3 Man Recovering As 'Ice Missile' From 18-Wheeler On TZB Breaks Windshield
- 4 NTSB Says It Could Take Full Year To Complete Valhalla Crash Investigation
- 5 Head Of Yoga Empire With Westchester Locales Faces Rape Allegation