TARRYTOWN, N.Y. – Four design-build consortiums will have the opportunity to bid on the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project, transportation officials announced Thursday while praising the progress that has been made since the project was given expedited approval.
The announcement comes after a multi-agency technical review of the five design-build consortiums that submitted statements of qualification on the project. Transportation officials said a request for proposals on the new bridge will be issued to bidders in the next few weeks. One of the agencies has already been eliminated from contention.
"New York can now begin the single largest bridge project in its modern history,” New York State Thruway Authority Chairman Howard P. Milstein said in a statement. “The eventual contract awardee will be setting a national standard for similar mega-projects that are completed on an accelerated and environmentally sound schedule.”
The four groups that will be able to bid on the project are:
- Hudson River Bridge Constructors, a group including Dragados USA, Inc., Flatiron Constructors, Inc., Samsung C&T, E&C Americas, Inc., and Yonkers Contracting Company, Inc.
- Kiewit-Skanska-Weeks Joint Venture, a group including Kiewit Infrastructure Co., Skanska USA Civil Northeast Inc., and Weeks Marine, Inc.
- Tappan Zee Bridge Partners, a group including Bechtel Infrastructure Corporation and Tutor Perini Corporation.
- Tappan Zee Constructors, a group including Fluor Enterprises, Inc., American Bridge Company, Granite Construction Northeast, Inc., and Traylor Bros., Inc.
"This selection of short-listed teams is an important part of the process, but due diligence of all teams and individual companies will continue as we move toward selection of the team who will actually build this bridge," Thruway Chief Engineer Ted Nadratowski, the authority's selection official, said. "It's the most important procurement we've ever considered, and it must be completed with utmost care at every stage of the process."
The design-build process means firms will design the new Tappan Zee Bridge and the construction method during the bidding process instead of having state officials mandate a specific proposal.
Two upcoming public hearings on the proposed Tappan Zee Bridge project will take place at the end of the month on the draft environmental impact statement. A hearing in Rockland County will take place on Feb. 28 at the Palisades Center in West Nyack from 4 to 9 p.m. A hearing in Westchester County will take place on March 1 at the Westchester Marriott in Tarrytown from 4 to 9 p.m.
- 1 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 2 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 3 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Will See Widespread Snow Into Monday
- 4 Police Warn Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Residents Of Phone Scam
- 5 Police Warn Residents Of Service Company Imposters In Sleepy Hollow