The Sleepy Hollow Board of Trustees accepted the resignation of Police Detective Jose Quinoy at a Tuesday meeting and authorized a settlement in his case.
Quinoy had been suspended from the police department without pay since April 29, 2009, after a series of incidents and a federal trial led to disciplinary charges being filed against him in the village. Quinoy filed his own lawsuit against the village in November, 2010.
We made this settlement in order to avoid any uncertainties, costs and risks of continued litigation between us, Sleepy Hollow Mayor Ken Wray said during the meeting.
Wray said the matter had been resolved to everyone's mutual satisfaction
This is good for our village, this is good for our police department, this is good for everyone involved to put this matter behind us and to be able to move forward in addressing the future of our village, he said.
Under the terms of the settlement, Quinoy was reinstated and then resigned last night effective May 31, 2011. Quinoy also pleaded guilty to some charges and agreed to release the Village of Sleepy Hollow and its personnel from any new or additional claims.
Quinoy also faced federal charges in the matter. A jury found Quinoy not guilty of violating the rights of Luis Vilches in December 2006. Quinoy was also cleared of a charge that he tampered evidence from fellow Sleepy Hollow police officer Michael Hayes.
The jury could not reach a decision in regards to another charge against Quinoy. The charge stemmed from an October 2006 incident where Quinoy, prosecutors say, kicked and punched an already-handcuffed Mario Gomez after a street brawl outside of police headquarters. Prosecutors declined to retry the case.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.