IRVINGTON, N.Y. – Irvington residents are getting ready to spell their way to V-I-C-T-O-R-Y this Friday night for the Seventh Annual Friends of the Irvington Library Spelling Bee.
Tickets to the event are still available at the Irvington Town Hall Theater's website.
The annual event helps raise funds for the Irvington Public Library. Teams of three compete in several spelling rounds for the big trophy. Last year's winners, The Spellbinders of Downingwood, took home the big prize after spelling the word “skeuomorph.”
Champion spellers Madlyn Walton, Eva Mininberg and Karl Weber attributed their win to the composition of their team.
“We have one Greek on our team, one former health-care professional,” Weber said. “So that kind of covers two big categories of words right there. That's the secret.”
The bee also includes music, entertainment, refreshments and raffle prizes.
- 1 Irvington Fire Chief Says He First Thought Stabbing Was Purse Snatching
- 2 Police Find More Than 10,000 Bags Of Heroin During Tarrytown Traffic Stop
- 3 Sleepy Hollow HS Principal Enjoys Appearance In Clinton Launch Video
- 4 Westchester School Districts Reporting High Opt-Out Rates
- 5 Deer Ticks Can Transmit Deadly Powassan Virus