IRVINGTON, N.Y. – Irvington residents are getting ready to spell their way to V-I-C-T-O-R-Y this Friday night for the Seventh Annual Friends of the Irvington Library Spelling Bee.
Tickets to the event are still available at the Irvington Town Hall Theater's website.
The annual event helps raise funds for the Irvington Public Library. Teams of three compete in several spelling rounds for the big trophy. Last year's winners, The Spellbinders of Downingwood, took home the big prize after spelling the word “skeuomorph.”
Champion spellers Madlyn Walton, Eva Mininberg and Karl Weber attributed their win to the composition of their team.
“We have one Greek on our team, one former health-care professional,” Weber said. “So that kind of covers two big categories of words right there. That's the secret.”
The bee also includes music, entertainment, refreshments and raffle prizes.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Tarrytown Skies Sunday
- 2 Tarrytown Will See Big Drop In Temperature This Weekend
- 3 Freeze Warning Is In Effect For Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington
- 4 Saw Mill River Parkway Reopens After Multi-Car Crash
- 5 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Will See Temperature Plunge On Sunday