IRVINGTON, N.Y. – Irvington residents are getting ready to spell their way to V-I-C-T-O-R-Y this Friday night for the Seventh Annual Friends of the Irvington Library Spelling Bee.
Tickets to the event are still available at the Irvington Town Hall Theater's website.
The annual event helps raise funds for the Irvington Public Library. Teams of three compete in several spelling rounds for the big trophy. Last year's winners, The Spellbinders of Downingwood, took home the big prize after spelling the word “skeuomorph.”
Champion spellers Madlyn Walton, Eva Mininberg and Karl Weber attributed their win to the composition of their team.
“We have one Greek on our team, one former health-care professional,” Weber said. “So that kind of covers two big categories of words right there. That's the secret.”
The bee also includes music, entertainment, refreshments and raffle prizes.
- 1 Police Issue 72 Tickets In Route 9 Detail
- 2 Presidential Run Puts Spotlight On Donald Trump's Westchester Estate
- 3 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow Share Services But Not Towns
- 4 Man, 24, Killed In Sprain Brook Parkway One-Car Crash ID'd
- 5 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Could See Storms As Weekend Wraps Up