TARRYTOWN, N.Y. - A Tarrytown firefighter was injured Friday morning when a ceiling collapsed on him at the scene of an early morning multifamily house fire.
The firefighter, Bobby Hoyt, Jr., was treated for neck injuries and released from Phelps Memorial Hospital, said Tarrytown Fire Chief John McGee.
The fire started on a second floor porch at 49 Windle Park Drive about 6 a.m. and quickly spread to the walls and floor boards of the building. No residents were hurt in the blaze, but all of the families that reside in the building were evacuated. None of the residents will be able to return anytime today, McGee said, and the Red Cross is assisting them.
"Four households were affected by this fire" said Michael de Vulpillieres, a Red Cross spokesperson in a written statement. "We have met with three of them. All three received emergency funds for basic necessities like food and clothing. In terms of emergency housing, one couple is staying with family. The Red Cross is providing the other two households with emergency lodging. We have not yet been in contact with the fourth household but they are aware of Red Cross services."
Tarrytown firefighters were assisted by firefighters from Sleepy Hollow.
Check back for more information.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.