TARRYTOWN, N.Y. A kitchen fire led to a Tarrytown woman being taken to Phelps Memorial Hospital Center for first- and second-degree burns late Tuesday night.
Tarrytown Fire Chief John McGee said firefighters responded at about 11 p.m. to a report of a fire in a second-story apartment in the Halston House apartment complex at 410 Benedict Ave.
It started in the kitchen and spread to the living room, McGee said Wednesday morning, adding that the woman living in the apartment had been trying to put out the fire.
Firefighters evacuated the entire building because of the smoke. McGee said they contained the fire within 15 minutes and it did not spread to any other apartments. Emergency responders left by 1 a.m.
McGee said there was no other damage to the building except some smoke and water damage. He estimated the fire caused about $150,000 worth of damage.
Carolyn Sherwin of the Red Cross said the family of three living in the apartment, a husband, wife and family friend, were the only ones displaced.
The initial request was going to be for about 12 to 15 people who they expected to be displaced, she said. On arrival, they really did such a great job getting the fire out, we only had to assist a family of three.
Sherwin noted the family would be staying with friends in Rockland County and the Red Cross would be working with them and others in the complex to help them through this stressful time.
Firefighters from Elmsford, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington, Ossining and Ardsley supported the Tarrytown Fire Department, with units in Pocantico Hills and Pleasantville standing by.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.