TARRYTOWN, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Tarrytown’s Sylvia Nasar!
Sylvia Nasar, a Tarrytown resident, turns 67 on Sunday.
Nasar, a journalist, best known for her biography of John Forbes Nash, "A Beautiful Mind," was born Aug. 17, 1947, in Rosenheim, Germany. Published in 1998, "A Beautiful Mind," is the biography of the Nobel Prize-winning economist and mathematician. The book describes many aspects of Nash's life, examines his personality and motivations, and deals with the stresses placed on his personal and professional relationships by severe mental illness. The book won the 1998 National Book Critics Circle Award for biography.
Nasar's second book, "Grand Pursuit," published in 2011, is an historical narrative which sets forth Nasar's view that economics rescued mankind from squalor and deprivation by placing its material circumstances in its own hands rather than in fate. It won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, Science and technology.
Some of her awards and honors include the following:
- 2011 Los Angeles Times Book Prize (Science and technology), "Grand Pursuit: The Story of Economic Genius."
- 1999 Rhône-Poulenc Prize, nominated, "A Beautiful Mind."
- 1998 National Book Critics Circle Award for biography, "A Beautiful Mind."
- 1998 Pulitzer Prize for biography, nominated, "A Beautiful Mind."
- 1 March Comes In Like A Lion; Storm Hits Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington
- 2 Police Warn Residents Of Service Company Imposters In Sleepy Hollow
- 3 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington Will See Widespread Snow Into Monday
- 4 Suicide Note Left By Former White Plains Police Officer Tops Week's News
- 5 Man Charged With DWI In Briarcliff Wrong-Way Crash