NORTH SALEM, N.Y. – Two dozen bicyclists turned out on a recent beautiful autumn weekend for a 135-mile ride to raise money for the Friends of Karen, the North Salem children’s aid organization.
The so-called Journey of the Heart ride wound along the Hudson River through Cold Spring, West Point and Storm King and raised $125,000 for the organization.
Friends of Karen provides emotional, financial and advocacy support for children suffering life-threatening illnesses and their families.
It was founded in 1978 when the parents of 16-year-old Karen MacInnes were dealing with the trauma and financial burden of their daughter’s terminal illness. Family friend Sheila Petersen appealed to the community for help and eventually devoted herself to helping others in similar predicaments. She named the organization after Karen.
- 1 Silo Structures On Tappan Zee Bridge Collapse, Causing Spills
- 2 Aunt's Daughter Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow
- 4 Cuomo Announces New York Will Ban Fracking
- 5 Sony Pulls Movie; Tarrytown, Sleepy HollowWill Have To Wait On 'Interview'