TARRYTOWN, N.Y.— Ready to say good-bye to 2014 and hello to 2015 but need some festive inspiration? John Sarofeen, owner of Tarrytown's Grape Expectations , offers the following sparkling suggestions for ringing in the new year.
- Philippe Prié Brut Traditional from Neuville S/Seine, Champagne, France: At $32.99 this fresh, densely foamed, traditional Champagne helps set a lively mood with its aromas of ripe pear and orange blended with hints of honey and deep dried fruit. According to Sarofeen, this gorgeous celebratory bottle -- his favorite by the way -- is accented by lovely hints of hazelnut and fig notes. "It is a wonderful, traditional medium bodied toast, filled with citrus flavors and plenty of smooth bubbles," he explained.
- Gruet Brut Methode Champenoise from Albuquerque, NM: Sarofeen calls this "a wonderfully fine bouquet dominated by green apple and grapefruit scents." This American sparkler, at $14.44, has plenty of allure, from sophisticated citrus notes to the toasty finish.
- Mionetto Sergio Rose Prosecco from Valdobbiadene, Veneto, Italy. Another winner at $14.44, this Italian Rosé Prosecco is reminiscent of pomegranate, raspberry and black-currant with a hint of wild roses. "The palate is lively and well-balanced with intense flavors, adequate acidity and fresh notes of red berries," said Sarofeen.
- Dibon Cava Brut Reserve from Villafranca del Penedès, Barcelona, Spain: Stone fruit flavors that are crisp and light-bodied on the palate mixed with mild minerality and balanced acidity makes for a lightly golden wine with a nose reminiscent of apples and pears with pleasant floral notes. It retails for $10.19.
- Bellenda Proscecco Superiore from Vittorio Veneto, Treviso, Italy: This delicate and subtly aromatic spumante delights the nose with fruity overtones and a refined mouth-feel. At $16.14, it's decisive and dry on the palate, with flavors of peaches and light strawberry, that intermingle with notes of apple and citrus.
Cheers to that!
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.