TARRYTOWN, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently named Tarrytown the second-best place to live in New York.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities.
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student-to-teacher ratio).
- Total crimes.
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax).
- Commute time.
- Weather (temperature and air quality).
Tarrytown ranked in the top five of two categories: total crime (third), and unemployment (fourth). The town more than 11,000 also excelled in tax rate, ranking seventh as well as quality of life and and weather, ranking 12th and 14th, respectively.
Tarrytown struggled in the amenities category, placing 50th, and in commute time, ranking 61st.
The overall score of 21.57 for Tarrytown placed it just behind Mamaroneck, which placed first with a score of 20.71. White Plains placed third with a score of 21.86.
Overall, Westchester County communities dominated the top 10, taking 10 spots. Mount Kisco, Scarsdale, Harrison, Dobbs Ferry, Ossining, Rye and New Rochelle (tied for 10th with Saratoga Springs) all made the top 10.
Port Chester, Peekskill and Yonkers all sat outside the top 10, ranking 12th through 14th, respectively.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow
- 3 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow Police Officers Graduate From County Academy
- 4 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 5 Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow Could See Light Snow Overnight Into Sunday